Name: Creation of a DarkRO Writing Team
Deadline: Not yet defined
Progress: [|||||-----] 50%
Last update: October 3, 2007
This is a completely new project that has not been discussed before but has been there in my head for a while.
The main objective here is to hire anyone interested in either: a) writing articles for a possible DarkRO Newspaper and/or b) working on the Wiki by contributing to it or leading specific Wiki projects. Motivation is a requirement.
The first step will be to make a small committee of well-known writers within the community who are motivated enough to lead this project. From there, we would have the following "departments" (at least that's what I suggest for now):
- 2 or 3 persons in charged of the hiring process: This is very easy. Simply set a "post count" requirement such as "You need to have posted at least 100 posts on the forum to be considered" and then once the application is approved, simply look for this member's posts to see whether the quality of his posts (English and grammar-wise) is decent enough to have them part of the Writing team.
- Anyone interested in working on making a DarkRO Newspaper. Nothing big, nothing extravagant. Maybe one or 2 pages every now and then (frequency to be determined by the Writing board). I'd suggest to do it when you have time and feel like it (remember that having fun doing it is the most important catalyst to remaining motivated and making something nice). This newspaper could talk about:
- Most valuable item on the market lately.
- Funny/interesting stories that happened in game lately (screenshots/images edits welcomed).
- Best PvP player of the moment (maybe by doing an in-game survey).
- Worst recent scamming situation and/or scammer (from the Report Abuses section or by asking players in-game).
- Personal yet RO-related anecdotes or jokes.
- Interviews with specific players in game (such as guild leaders, GM/Police/RCS/BCS/Event players, bot hunter, top merchant(s)/vender(s), etc..).
- And anything else DarkRO or RO or Game related.
- Private life topics are tolerated only if they tell some kind of "innocent" or funny anecdote. Anything that could be seen as inappropriate or too subjective should not be considered.
- Depending on how the board will decide things, we may have 2 different sections in the newspaper (one for Force and one for Pie) or one main DarkRO section with articles concerning Force or Pie or both in general.
- A team of Wiki experts. Their roles will be to moderate the Wiki in general and look at new contributions made and run some kind of quality control. Everyone from the Writing team can be a Wiki moderator even though he/she is specialized into working on the newspaper. To be honest, the more people to help on the Wiki, the better (because this is a huge project). The Writing board will be in charge of choosing who should be able to moderate the Wiki. Here are some things the Wiki team could work on:
- Make and lead specific Wiki projects. One example would be: treating ALL classes and skills in game (making standard pages for them, giving (custom) descriptions, using same colors, format, etc..).
- Work on pages that need cleanup. If you look in the Wiki, you will see that this is a new feature where some "dirty" pages have been labeled as "requires cleanup". So, the goal is to make them look nice (which leads to the next point).
- General quality control of the pages: language, typo, format, colors, syntax, etc...
- Doing a guide or giving (private) "classes" to help newbies understand how to use the Wiki (maybe we could have a section of the forum dedicated to this).
- Approving or denying requests made in the Community services forum. This would really make the GM and Global Mods job easier.
- And anything else Wiki-related.
I also think, the Wiki team should be able to work on the newspaper as well: like make an article or two (or more) if they have time or feel like it. Again, this is to be decided by the Writing board.
- Making a first Newspaper draft then possibly an official release. (Deadline: None).
- Hiring more members. (Deadline: None).
- Making a Forum Group Icon for the Editor and Wiki groups. (Date: September 30, 2007).
- Organizing a first meeting with all Editors to set up the plan and guides to follow to lead the team. (Date: September 29, 2007).
- Waiting for feedbacks about this project from the community and eventually start receiving applications. If you wish to apply, you may reply to this topic saying so, but please, note that you need to have at least 50 posts to be considered. (Date: September 25, 2007).
- Nominating first 4-5 Writers to form the Writing Board that will be in charge of hiring more members as well as setting rules, guidelines and projects. I or any other GM or Global Mods will be the first judges in deciding who should be accepted into the Writing Board (Date: September 25, 2007).