• 1,944 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:14 PM

ID: P3
Name: Creation of a DarkRO Writing Team
Deadline: Not yet defined
Progress: [|||||-----] 50%
Last update: October 3, 2007

I. Description:

This is a completely new project that has not been discussed before but has been there in my head for a while.
The main objective here is to hire anyone interested in either: a) writing articles for a possible DarkRO Newspaper and/or b) working on the Wiki by contributing to it or leading specific Wiki projects. Motivation is a requirement.

The first step will be to make a small committee of well-known writers within the community who are motivated enough to lead this project. From there, we would have the following "departments" (at least that's what I suggest for now):
  • 2 or 3 persons in charged of the hiring process: This is very easy. Simply set a "post count" requirement such as "You need to have posted at least 100 posts on the forum to be considered" and then once the application is approved, simply look for this member's posts to see whether the quality of his posts (English and grammar-wise) is decent enough to have them part of the Writing team.

• Anyone interested in working on making a DarkRO Newspaper. Nothing big, nothing extravagant. Maybe one or 2 pages every now and then (frequency to be determined by the Writing board). I'd suggest to do it when you have time and feel like it (remember that having fun doing it is the most important catalyst to remaining motivated and making something nice). This newspaper could talk about:
    • Most valuable item on the market lately.
    • Funny/interesting stories that happened in game lately (screenshots/images edits welcomed).
    • Best PvP player of the moment (maybe by doing an in-game survey).
    • Worst recent scamming situation and/or scammer (from the Report Abuses section or by asking players in-game).
    • Personal yet RO-related anecdotes or jokes.
    • Interviews with specific players in game (such as guild leaders, GM/Police/RCS/BCS/Event players, bot hunter, top merchant(s)/vender(s), etc..).
    • And anything else DarkRO or RO or Game related.
    • Private life topics are tolerated only if they tell some kind of "innocent" or funny anecdote. Anything that could be seen as inappropriate or too subjective should not be considered.
    • Depending on how the board will decide things, we may have 2 different sections in the newspaper (one for Force and one for Pie) or one main DarkRO section with articles concerning Force or Pie or both in general.
  • A team of Wiki experts. Their roles will be to moderate the Wiki in general and look at new contributions made and run some kind of quality control. Everyone from the Writing team can be a Wiki moderator even though he/she is specialized into working on the newspaper. To be honest, the more people to help on the Wiki, the better (because this is a huge project). The Writing board will be in charge of choosing who should be able to moderate the Wiki. Here are some things the Wiki team could work on:
    • Make and lead specific Wiki projects. One example would be: treating ALL classes and skills in game (making standard pages for them, giving (custom) descriptions, using same colors, format, etc..).
    • Work on pages that need cleanup. If you look in the Wiki, you will see that this is a new feature where some "dirty" pages have been labeled as "requires cleanup". So, the goal is to make them look nice (which leads to the next point).
    • General quality control of the pages: language, typo, format, colors, syntax, etc...
    • Doing a guide or giving (private) "classes" to help newbies understand how to use the Wiki (maybe we could have a section of the forum dedicated to this).
    • Approving or denying requests made in the Community services forum. This would really make the GM and Global Mods job easier.
    • And anything else Wiki-related.
    It might look hard but believe me, it's not at all. I've been doing all of these points a lot. /ok
    I also think, the Wiki team should be able to work on the newspaper as well: like make an article or two (or more) if they have time or feel like it. Again, this is to be decided by the Writing board.
II. Tasks

Next task

- Making a first Newspaper draft then possibly an official release. (Deadline: None).

Pending tasks

- Hiring more members. (Deadline: None).

Completed tasks

- Making a Forum Group Icon for the Editor and Wiki groups. (Date: September 30, 2007).
- Organizing a first meeting with all Editors to set up the plan and guides to follow to lead the team. (Date: September 29, 2007).
- Waiting for feedbacks about this project from the community and eventually start receiving applications. If you wish to apply, you may reply to this topic saying so, but please, note that you need to have at least 50 posts to be considered. (Date: September 25, 2007).
- Nominating first 4-5 Writers to form the Writing Board that will be in charge of hiring more members as well as setting rules, guidelines and projects. I or any other GM or Global Mods will be the first judges in deciding who should be accepted into the Writing Board (Date: September 25, 2007).
  • fleeneurn likes this

#2 OFFLINE   Kazer

Kazer

Loveable Leanne

• Honorary Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Dark RO, video games, anime, magna, D&D, dragons, raping, giving people the atomic flash, and fuzzy cute things ^^
  • Honors: Former: Wiki Moderator

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

OMG I SO HAD THAT IDEA! Well not like that I remember playing around with like THE ACTION NEWS CAST with sarah and leanne. With the bad ensemble songs. Anyway I"M UP FOR IT! Well grammer and spelling I have a problem with but I do write alot (as you know). I'd be so up for!

And we could do it like Wiki has its news articles. Like the little side bar on the main page. Anyway you know what I'm talking about.

WE can also have a photo(screenshot) person takeing pictures too. Hey the funniest screen shot page one person could pic the funniest one to post.

I'm just throwing some idea's out there. <3 let me know if you wanna toss some ideas back and forth.

#3 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:24 PM

Lol, ideas are most welcomed and I can see you got tons of them already (as usual). http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Well, that's why we need a Writing board. They're gonna meet together and will decide how this whole thing is gonna work (and plan projects/ideas). Once we have a Writing board, the board members will have the green light to do almost anything they want (well as long as it's tolerable of course http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif). Maybe the first step would be to find an alias name like: "The Daily ROer" (just thinking of something to rival The Daily Planet >O). Beh, you get the idea. ^^

#4 OFFLINE   Igna-X

Igna-X

SMOKE WEED EVERY DUCK

• Advanced Members
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:Ser un troll profesional, incendiar los sueños de los infantes y tu vieja.

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:55 PM

Interviews to staff and PvPers... that would be nice o_o I'm surely interested on this project-thingy. So yeah, +1 Momo.

You should interview spiro x (one of the "spanish 22k crit sinx") and ... well, what about adding a "Last Poll" stadistic on the newspaper?

About the wiki-thingy... well, I don't think it's a bad idea neither. But I don't check the wiki so often >_<

#5 OFFLINE   Kazer

Kazer

Loveable Leanne

• Honorary Members
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:Dark RO, video games, anime, magna, D&D, dragons, raping, giving people the atomic flash, and fuzzy cute things ^^

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:28 AM

Aw come on puns like that are over done momo. And yes Ido have tons of ideas as normally.

How about... The Dark(Or Darkness) Press. We'd need to make 2 sections pie and force.

Also WoE movement would be cool. Like best taken castle, most guarding, and so on. You get the idea.

IT doesn't have to be wiki but it would be a good way to start getting more traffic over that way.

Also events could be adverstived as well.

OH OH we could have like...letters to the editor too. OMG aahahahahahaah just for a joke RO weather forcast.... Today's weather calls for lots of noob deaths followed by a chance of Grahf.

Don't mind me I've been watch TV so my brain is working in random overdrive.

#6 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:01 AM

ROFL, I love the weather thingy. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

And yeah! Don't hesitate to invent stuff, imagine things/stories when making articles and such hehe. That's the fun of it. It's all virtual (just like RO) and sometimes imaginary. /ok

"The Dark Press" sounds good too. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

As for the platform for the newspaper, yeah we could use the Wiki, or what I was thinking was that you could make one or two pages in MS Word (or equivalent) and then take a screenshot of the final result and post it here as a picture (1 picture per page). This way you can actually give it a real "newspaper layout" feel with columns and all or modify the general layout even more if you wish. I'm suggesting that because it's more difficult in the Wiki to achieve a newspaper-like type of layout but still doable. Or you guys could innovate and make a totally different layout that would be fully Wiki compatible.
We could also use both: basically, you could post those pictures in the Wiki in a dedicated News section like you mentioned. So yeah, tons of possibilities. ^^

#7 OFFLINE   Munchy Guy

Munchy Guy

Drops

• Advanced Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:33 AM

Where do I sign up?

#8 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:40 AM

Right here.

Just say: "I want to be part of the writing team" and we'll see whether you can be hired or not. ^^

Remember that you need at least 50 posts to be considered.

#9 OFFLINE   Double_poster

Double_poster

king of Lies

• Advanced Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:47 AM

wow this is a really good idea.....

Id love for you guys to interview me /sob

or vice versa.........

#10 OFFLINE   Neon~

Neon~

@seeclothes

• Advanced Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:56 AM

I want to be part of the Newspaper team. O_o, looks like fun, interviews, market prices, funz0rzstuffz0rz! Yeah, that looks really fun. And I won't be super bored anymore O_o.

EDIT: Note that i have 13x the amount of posts required. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif (lol)

#11 OFFLINE   Eureka7

Eureka7

Shi no Kyofu: Skeith

• Honorary Members
  • 3,159 posts
  • Interests:RO, Gaming, DarkRO forums, TV, sleeping , eating, playing with Kuroko (Stuffed black tabby) , having fun, being "eccentric" and enjoying myself.

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:16 AM

Lol. t' be honest, I Eureka7 want to keep a track of the DarkRO wiki. lmao. honestly, i may be one of the fewer people who actually check there on a daily basis. seeing my champion page just get ripped by a noob who doesn't give a damn about others made me want to at least patrol and see if people are properly working on the Wiki, and not just BSing it.

#12 OFFLINE   Tress

Tress

Forum's Devil.

• Honorary Members
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Jha =d
  • Honors: Former Force Development GM

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:46 AM

I vote for Eureka to be apart of the Wiki Team =P

#13 OFFLINE   -Aeris-

-Aeris-

Prof class LIVES! u_u"

• Advanced Members
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:I am an eroguro girl! :3<br />I want Kyo from Dir en Grey on my bday!! &gt;o&lt;

Posted 15 September 2007 - 07:05 AM

I would like to apply for the DRo newspaper =)

#14 OFFLINE   Kazer

Kazer

Loveable Leanne

• Honorary Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

As you can see I'm all up for it!

I liked that name too since you wanna get the servers name in the title. I was thinking up the london free press when I got it. Simple and sweet.

Anyway it could have alot more than JUST ingame too. IRL life things (graduations, marriages http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif etc). Also like.. ahahaha I just thought of this. Interviewing a monster. Or a day in the life of a guild. Could also have a class expert telling people about classes, builds, card combos etc. WE could ask people to draw up little comics too. Or our own horoscopes! Today you will find a strong monster that will rip your guts out.

WEll anyway you get the point. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif So I'll sign up!

#15 OFFLINE   Neon~

Neon~

@seeclothes

• Advanced Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

I was thinking that too. I wanna interview Volar and RevaGenisis http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif Their like uber smart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users