O EM GEE (Mind you how over stressed I am at this point and how much extra work I had to get this out!)
Yes, I finally finished with everything, at least with what was needed to release the new website~
Ok, so we've had the old website for a really long time (Its been nearly 6 years with the same website X_x) and despite the MANY efforts to update it, there used to be a lot of dislike for the designs (Yes, I made about 7 different websites, all almost fully working), however about a year ago I stopped making websites for Force as I pretty much got tired of making them -_-'. However a while ago Maurice told me he was working on a layout for a new Website and we started off from there (Kudos to him! And thats a proof he isnt death as some people think :P. He still cares about us deeply <3)
Firstly, I'd like to mention that this is the main structure, there is quiet a lot I am not really happy about design wise and color-wise, which will be worked through time and thanks to your feedback! So please, do give us feedback on how to improve it.
We got ourselves a designer for the banners and images not too long ago (Barely 2 weeks) and while he has a job, he has still been given us as much time as he can and has been working almost none stop on some of the images. So, we're still missing a few but those will be worked on during the next few days. Kudos to Yura/Xyaru for helping us with the images and all the work he did! -Hey Yura, you still got a lot, so dont lay back just yet!-)
~ Design & Concept
There are a lot of RO servers out there with websites, however there is one thing we don't like, and thats how most of those websites are pretty similar but with small detail changes (They almost feel like templates), so we went with something less "conventional" for the world of RO (Although it is nothing out of the world design-wise).
Obviously, this is DarkRO, so the Dark theme kind of sticks~ (We still gotta work a bit on our color-picking skills)
~ New Features
Some of the new features for the main site would be 2: Gallery and some Statistics.
The Gallery works with our Facebook & YouTube accounts (Yay! We're on Social networks now!). Right now obviously its a bit empty~ But you guys will help us fill it in, right?!
In order to "upload" content you must first Login to the CP. Only after you're logged will you be able to access the "Upload" tab. After you've uploaded something, it will need to be approved by a Staff member, and only until then it will be shown in the gallery & social networks!
As for the Statistics, we're now collecting PvP and WoE statistics. PvP Statistics is based off, well, How many people you kill (From a recent period of time) and WoE is related to how many Emperiums your guild has broken.
If you check out the "ranking" you will be able to see a bit more info.
For the PvP ranking, you'll see how many times you've died and whats your highest streak (How many people you've killed without dying)
For the WoE Ranking, it will show you how many people you have killed while defending your castle, and while taking another guild's castle (Please reffer to notes at the bottom to know about a few issues on this)
Events are now shown in the main site, aswell as shared on our Facebook/Twitter pages! So you may never again miss an upcoming event!
As for the CP:
The first thing you'll notice when logging in, is that it will ask you for some information (Security information and display name), to set this information you will require your Serial Code! (There is a link under the login section where you can get it sent to the email that is registered on the account. For security reasons this email will not be shown to you).
If you do not have your serial code or cannot recover it, you can hit the "Cancel" button. However, some of the site's functions will not be enabled for your account.
The display name will be used through different places of the website (Some stuff is still pending implementation), however keep in mind, that you may not use the same display name on two accounts (yet).
A few new things can be found there:
First of all, Character sprites are created on the minute, so right now you can actually see your current "hairstyle" on your character. (Please reffer to notes at the bottom to know about a few issues on this)
You can now access your Login & Tradelogs . Login logs will show you when did you access your characters for the last time, Tradelogs will show your trades for the past month (Up to 200 trades).
Social: Ok, so a lot of people has been desperately crying out for V4P, I said it before and I say it again, we will not work on V4P. However, I did implement a Social Points feature (Which I havnt seen on other servers so yay!-Unless someone has, corremt so I can de-yay this :P-). What are social points? Simple, you can get social points for "spreading the word" on Facebook and twitter, You can do this once a day and it will basically post on your wall a message about you playing DarkRO and inviting your friends. I'll explain a bit more down below.
Ok, So as I said earlier, a lot of people has been crying out loud for "Vote for Points", and I always said no, specially since a lot of those sites forbid V4P. So instead we will be doing campaigns (Yet to be informed) on voting sites. I'll be listing us in the next few days (We need the banners for this), like for example, if Pie gets to top 50 on RMS, we will do Exp increase. If Force gets to top 50 on rotop100, there will be an event. If both sites get to top 50, we give everyone X social points (These are just ideas, don't take them as granted right now :P)
So what are social points?
Simple, in the CP there is a Social Tab. If you click it you will see two links, Facebook & Twitter. If you click the link, there will be a pop-up which will ask you to authorize our App. When you do this, you will be able to "Spread the word" and throw messages like "Hey! I am playing RO @ Dark-RO.net! Join me!" (There are quiet a few phrases that go randomly). And you can do this every 24 hours. Every time you do this, you gain 1 Social point.
If you are cool and decide to help us populate our gallery, you will also receive social points (Assuming your submission is approved by the rules), and you will win 5 Social Points for those!
So what do I do with Social points?! You can claim prizes. The prizes are not yet available on the website as we still need to make a good list, but they will be anything (Supplies, Website perks, Forum perks, Ingame Perks or even headgears!). We will work on making these perks pretty nice!
Keep in mind please, prizes and how many social points you receive can and mostlikely will be changed in the future, as we see this new feature at work!
Yes, the new website has changed a lot from the old one, the Staff will be writing guides in the Wiki (And everyone else is welcome to) on some of these new nice features. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
P.S.: Yes! The wiki is back<3
So, there are a few things pending:
- Statistics: The former statistics system for WoE was HUGE and MESSED UP big time. I tried to write something similar but it was way too confusing. We will be working on improving the current system to something more useful as time passes by
- Donations tab is temporarily under maintenance. Will probabbly be enabled tomorrow. I still got some more testings to do in there (You nor I want anything messed up there)
- Database: The database is under construction. I just need to work a bit more on it so it gets easy to maintain and keep up with every update.
- Design: While the main layout/skeleton will not be changed, there are a lot of color/design improvements to be made. I invite you all to throw in your suggestions on our I&F section to help us improve the site even further (Wether its design wise or with new features!).
- Bugs: While the website has been throughly tested for the past month and a lot through the past weekend, I do expect bugs to be left, specially with everyone using different browsers. So please, help me help you by fixing those bugs and report them all on our Bugs section of the forum. Keep in mind, everything is logged right now, so if we find you have been abusing any sort of bugs, your account will be permanently unbanned without any chance for it to be unbanned. (Report all bugs you find, for as little as they might be!
- The website is highly security-oriented. You will need your Serial code to perform a lot of functions, you will need to confirm via email a lot of changes done to your account (If you decide to change passwords and what not) and sessions do not last longer than 15 minutes.
- The website is heavily ajax oriented, we have come to notice a few people got issues with ajax, so we will be working on improving the non-ajax people's experience as time passes by.
- The DarkRO Updater has a new page. All past updates are not lost, but need to be re-added. This will be a long task. We also need a possibly better design for the updates page *g*. Or a new skin for the updater? :P
Ok, thats it!
As this is the last update topic for the weekend, I'd take some time and thank all the Staff members who have helped us through this weekend, I've been under a lot of stress and I might've been a bit mean or rude, so I apologize for that. I <3 you all guys and despite my grumpy face, I really appreciatte everyone's help! <3!
As to the players: I am sorry all this took so long, while it was supposed to last a day or two tops, it ended up taking 5 days. There were a lot of issues and I am really sorry for the delay, the bugs and everything (Belive it or not, everything was tested a lot, we spent at least one month testing and we only decided to update after everything was confirmed to be working. Sadly, there were a lot of issues that arose after the migration which couldnt have been foreseen) I hope everyone is patient enough to understand! Thank you guys!