To those of you who didn't read, there was a slight discussion regarding Pie's future and the possibility of a wipe (Link). Andy, Ant and Me (And Jero indirectly, while he wasn't at the meeting due to timezone we discussed and shared most of the decisions that were taken on the meeting) held a meeting in which we discussed and tried to settle the final decision on what would be the best for Pie.
Keep in mind we only want whats best for Pie and we're working for the server and its players, both old, current and new ones, while the decision will not make everyone happy (Mainly because there were people standing on all the possibilities that we had), we believe this is by far the best thing to do as it is to give Pie another chance to bright between small servers, but for that we do need the support of the community so try to keep an open mind with these changes and lets try to make the best out of it, as while new players are more than welcome, the main reason we do this is for the current community who has supported all the ups and downs Pie has had.
For all the decision we considered what was discussed in Pie's Future topic and the player's input, trying to make the best possible matches through all of the ideas people gave.
So, right into business, what is going to be done? Here is the list you all have been waiting for.
- Pie will go through a Beta phase
- During the beta phase, we might disable or enable things as needed in order to achieve everything that we want, which is bring back Pie to life, make it entertaining and active.
- There might also be a lot of testing (Expect a few things to be broken) and balancing.
- There will be NO WIPE.
- After a long conversation and discussing our different points of view and the community's comments, we've decided to give Pie another chance as it is. A wipe would have been by far the easiest way to work on Pie, as without economy issues, and players advantage everything gets a lot easier for newcomers,making it a lot more friendly in so many ways. However, DarkRO is one of the oldest servers still standing, we have never had a wipe, even tho we've had some rough times (In both servers) and this will be no time to make an exception, there are a lot of memories built through 7 years and while a wipe should not change those, it would still sort of change the air in the server.
- Pie WILL BE update to Renewal Mechanics and Renewal Content.
- While Renewal is still under work and development, specially when it comes to info gathering and formula calculation, we're moving off from eAthena and into the Hercules project, which is far more oriented on being a decent project with a really good Development team, serious and active.
- Also, even though Renewal might not be highly balanced as it is, we can always work on balancing it to match our needs. So that should not be that much of an issue.
- Lastly, Renewal is something a lot of people has been crying out loud for desperately and we believe its implementation is the best thing to do at this point to make the game more interesting and attract a new set of people.
- Renewal changes the game mechanics on its most part, making it almost a brand new game to start playing and learning, (If you wanna be like Ash and become the RO Master :P), so a new breeze will definitely help Pie.
- The Rates WILL NOT be modified.
- This was once discussed with the community and has been long discussed with the Staff every now and then. This time we've decided that finally, Pie's rates will not be increased. There is actually a larger project idea for a mid-rate server to be pulled, shall there ever be availability to do it. There is also a rather big extent of people who enjoy playing Low Rates, so there shall be no need for changing the rates on Pie. We've throughout discussed this and at some point we will make Battle Manuals questable for those interested in a higher experience situation. (THis still has to be worked on and might take some time to think how to do it properly)
- Third Jobs will be TEMPORARILY DISABLED
- ​Renewal was built for a 3rd jobs realm, there is no denying in that. However, in order to maintain a certain level of balance we have decided to disable 3rd Jobs implementation until the population grows to a certain extent.
- This should help current and new players who are a bit off in their leveling to catch up and get more people to Trans level, so once 3rd jobs are released, a lot of people will be able to play together and party without a major gap in the levels for parties. (Not to mention the advantages people could get through WoE/PvE to gain better equipment and remain being OP in comparison to new comers)
- Godly and High Level equipment will have their effect discarded
- ​To further on balancing out old v/s new players, we've decided to temporarily disable all high level equipment and anything that could be slightly overpowered, specially when it comes to WoE.
- Some of the items that will be disabled would be: Dragon Wings, Hokage Hat, Icarus Wings, Valkyrie items, Godly items, Satan Morroc and Naght Seger drops. (This won't necessarily be all of it, we might disable some more items or disable them through the beta period in order to reduce the gap.)
- WoE Changes/Battlegrounds
- ​WoE 2.0 Will NOT be enabled for now.
- WoE/Battlegrounds will be enabled but only with 1 agit. All the other castles will remain closed. (It will be the same castle for every WoE.) This castle will have random castle drops to allow everyone gather required quest items and such.
- All Castles will be resetted.
- Yggdrassil Berries and Seeds will be disabled on WoE and Battlegrounds.
- From eAthena to Hercules
- DarkRO has always worked with eAthena, despite the many forks that have appeared all through the years, however for the past 1-2 years, eAthena's development has decreased a LOT, mainly because there have been no more pre-re updates and some internal issues within the community/Staff. There have been a few forks and the last one to appear is Hercules (http://www.hercules.ws), which has been having a HUGE development activity in a really short period of time. The staff is highly serious and competent, making it by far the best choice to go with now.
- They are really trying to pull a decent emulator with a lot of work to improve the server's performance, code, features and such. With this, you can expect a high level of updates and development activity and a really stable server (I am actually really proud, the new test server has proven to be far more stable than the previous one and a lot less resource consuming, giving a far better performance, which is something they're highly concerned about).
- Staff Changes
- ​While I thank the current Pie Staff for their time and the work they've put into Pie, we've decided to let go all the Staff members of Pie. Such small community doesn't require high amount of Staff and its nothing two GMs can't handle.
- Not to mention that most of Pie's staff has been inactive for a really long time, they havnt been kicked yet, but now is the time.
- There will be Staff recruitment once the population gives us enough alternatives to recruit active Staff members, worry not as this is a concern, but with a low population as it is, there is no need to do it now.
- Donations will be disabled
- ​As most of the items will be disabled, donations will also be disabled.
- While you may still donate if you want to support us, there will be no gift available for now (You will still receive your DPs to claim once donations are available), except for perhaps Supplies (No tickets/bonus point gifts for now)
- As everything else, this is meant to balance a bit more the servers meta game.
Everything that would be disabled (3rd class, WoE, WoE:SE, Battlegrounds, Items) will be enabled as the population grows. For example (I am throwing random numbers), once we reach 30 active players, we will open a second castle, if we reach 50 active players we will open a whole town. If we reach 50 active players we might enable some of the higher level equipment, etc.
Once something has proven to be needed and not kill competition, it will be enabled.
We really hope you all like what is to come or try to see the things you like and stick to them, as I said at the beginning, we all will have to make an effort. We have worked a lot on all of those changes and had really long discussions to try to come up with the best possible solution.
One thing I didn't mention is we will be doing advertisement, but I can't go further into it without spoiling some of the New website stuff