• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:17 AM

We are all quite busy I must say and development can't go as fast as we wished it would. As such, we thought of doing a special scripting event that could help us "discover" new talents. :3
The reward will be one donation item of your choice (can vary depending on your script - e.g. can be more http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and the possibility to get a spot in the development team (nothing is guaranteed for that one since the whole team needs to agree about it). Note that being a developer DOES NOT imply being a GM. I mean, please, do keep this in mind!

Okie, here is everything you need to know about the competition:

Rules:

- The GM Team will be the only judge who will issue the final verdict at the end of this event.
- If you become a developer, you will be able to choose on which server to work on (Force or Pie or both).
- You may discuss about development issues in this thread or ask related questions here.
- You may not post anything unrelated here. Flame wars aren't welcomed and one word support posts like "Go PlayerX!" are discouraged (posts will most likely be deleted).
- If we receive too many scripts, we might hire a few testers. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Competition:

Goal:

- Make an Auctioner NPC

Description:

- Basically, an Auctioner NPC will allow any player to submit an item for auction. There will then be a bidding time where players can place higher and highers bids to hopefully win that item. When that bidding period is over, the player with the highest bid will automatically pay the Auction starter and receive the Auction item. Take the WoW Auction system as an example if you wish. However, you are free to take whatever path you wish. As long as it does the job and meets the requirements, you're in. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif

We chose this script because it definitely involves a certain level of difficulty and knowledge that can only be achieved through quite some work, dedication and motivation. Those 3 points are essential and are basically what we are looking for in a potential scripter.

Advantages:

- This will release some stress off the Broadcaster.
- An Auctioner interface is always a nice and practical feature to have to promote in an efficient way goods exchanges between players.

Requirements:

- You need to have a test server to test your own script.
- The script must be compatible with the latest eAthena SVN (Trunk version).
- DO NOT use the Auctioner NPC that comes with eAthena. It is known to be broken plus exploitable. Also, it uses global variables to save the data which is not welcomed for a huge population server like Force for example.
- You must have at least some basic understandings of the eA's scripting language and/or be willing to "quickly" learn it.
- It is recommended to use SQL for the NPC (it would be tough otherwise) and thus have a basic understanding of SQL, MySQL, ....
- GOOD grammar is required in the script.
- You must be able to communicate decently in English.
- Last but not least: Have fun scripting! http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Applications:

- Please, reply to this topic with the following information:
* Your in game name(s)
* Your age
* Your scripting experience (with eAthena, on other servers, your server, etc.. etc...)
* Your other areas of expertise (spriting? C/C++ programmer? web design? ....) with maybe a short summary of your experience in each of them.
- The deadline for applying is on May 1st of 2007.

Submissions:

- Please submit your finished script at: admin@dark-ro.net
- Please use your forum email address to submit your script.
- You are allowed to submit at most twice (for a possible revision version).
- Only those whose applications were approved can submit and will have their scripts tested after submission.

Deadline:

- We know it can take quite a while to have the script fully working and flawless. Therefore, the deadline will be on September 1st of 2007.

Everyone, good luck with this project. I hope you find it interesting and fun! /gg
  • CubClegorMurl likes this

#2 OFFLINE   sabata2

sabata2

Ore wo dare da to OMOTTE YAGARU!?

• Honorary Members
  • 2,153 posts
  • Interests:ANIME!<br />And the Manga that goes with it (-_^)b
  • Honors: Former Head Judge - Former Global Moderator

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:36 AM

Damn... I'm about 2 years too early to take part in this... Oh well... Atleast I can submit ideas for the contest scripters to try and incorporate for a well working Auctioneer.

-It should be able to accept both Credits and Zeny. So maybe something like a teir value system could be worked out for the NPC. (much like WoW's Gold, Silver, Bronze)
-It might be a good idea to include, if possible, multiple translations of howthe NPC works. It could be added like how with the broadcaster NCP you can choose Worldwide, or one Map only, just make a "Help" option that describes how to use the function in the mainly used languages (Tagalog, English, [I dunno what Philipino speak but that to])
-Well a Buy Out price should be added as well. Cause if there isn't (I'm pretty sure the NPC wouldn't be able to hold a couple thousand auctions at once) people could abuse it and make it so no one else can put up their auctions. So the buy out price could be "once the auction passes this point it is sold" (Yet this can end up in BO Prices of 302b just to keep an item in the auction house. So it's up to you on whether you should include BO Prices.
-There should definately be a limit on how many auctions there can be. Otherwise it will cause major lag when loading the current auctions.
-Along with the limit a waiting line should probably be added so people don't just horde the NPC wating for someone's auction to go out.
-A search function might be useful. So people can search for the item they want. Either that or an auto-sorting built in so people can look for the name of the item they want. (Realize most people know the name of the item and not the call number so Alphabetical would peobbly be best)

I think that's a good enough list to get you guys thinking.
Remember that these are only SUGGESTIONS.
They do not have to be added, but they could be a good idea and would be worth it if you can add it.

If I can't help directly I'll do my best to inspire the creators who can! ^^

#3 OFFLINE   rocky6861

rocky6861

Mastering

• Advanced Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:32 AM

Great idea maurice. too bad i dont know sql enough. i could do it if it was text based. but FYI this is going to be really really complex and will probably require more than one NPC to deal with the load. such as the auction NPC, another NPC dealth specifically with sign ups, and that will only allow say 200 people per ip/account to auction off an item. Then probably another good NPC idea is a pick up NPC, where the buyer pays for the item and picks it up. and also where the seller gets there money. like i said it will be complex and best of luck to whomever competes.

#4 OFFLINE   Prince of Zeon

Prince of Zeon

in your head messing with your dexterity roll. YO!

• Advanced Members
  • 916 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:28 AM

hmm frankly i would sugest that the auction npc only accept credits only

it would be good so that it keeps out the small junk from clogging in there

that and the npc takes a fee as well

#5 OFFLINE   Swoosh

Swoosh

iJest

• Honorary Members
  • 519 posts
  • Honors: Former Force Administrator & GM

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:44 PM

how bout seperate npc's for various item classes?

#6 OFFLINE   Matias

Matias

- [ This . space . is . not . for . rent ] -

• Admins
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 02:37 AM

Great idea... and hacing people giving out suggestions will really improve the script http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Surely a great idea..

Ill be trying to work on something and once i can manage to get myself on line ill be trying to apply.. just to see i got enough time xD

#7 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:08 AM

Hehe, good luck Matt! http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif

#8 OFFLINE   Cristal

Cristal

Mr. Sensitive

• Honorary Members
  • 2,005 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, making music, playing RO, writing, watching Anime, physics...
  • Honors: Former Events GM & Global Moderator

Posted 21 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

i had been playing with this idear to sugest it. but i guess that has resolved.
just some things i wanted to get rid of.
-as mentiond we should have more than one NPC for this.
-the person who auctions needs to do a quest do be able to auction for a week. (or whatever time is suitable) maybe also the bidder.

anyway if there are any points i find intresting, then ill add them.
i wish people good luck.
(i keep my timetable open in case we need more testers >.<)

#9 OFFLINE   mervick

mervick

Unhatched Egg

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:20 AM

I have an idea an also would like to apply but never can i promise to make it on time... coz im partyly working too...
may be we can dedicate a map like d mall for auction... then there would be several npc for weapons armors and cards... and the minimum cost should b atleast 100m.... it should only accept credits... we can also place an npc in prt to enter into d auction map and there should be payments of course...

im not sure if i can do it becoz its in sql I only use text base for my own server... but ill try maurice... Anyway im Sinner

#10 OFFLINE   Sammy-Kun

Sammy-Kun

Unhatched Egg

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

Hmm.. I have a few questions.

1. How many different items can be registered for Auction at any one time in the NPC?

2. What's the minimum bid to raise the price? (If it uses the credits this issue is resolved.)

3. Should all items available for Auction be listed? Should they be accesed by an Auction ID or something? How would one be able to check their item in Auction?

4. Do you guys want a Timer to go with the Auction NPC? Should it announce? or Alert people involved?

5. Does it 'have' to be an 'NPC = Non player character'? I'm almost 110% sure we would be better of using a script. With @commands and an SQL entry for the script.

If that isn't done the likelihood of this 'NPC' ever succeeding is about 1 in 1,000,000 there are way too many variables if an NPC is used. Unless in combination with a script, and even still it would be more efficient with commands to raise the price of bets and register for specific items. As for items which can be registered a basic command such as "@check 1179" would list all available auctions for items with item ID "1179".

I could complete this 'function' with little or no problem. But you've created factors which make it almost impossible. Otherwise, I could write a DF-diagram and let another scripter make the script. Either way, the above 5-questions need to be answered.

#11 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:16 AM

Hmm.. I have a few questions.

1. How many different items can be registered for Auction at any one time in the NPC?

2. What's the minimum bid to raise the price? (If it uses the credits this issue is resolved.)

3. Should all items available for Auction be listed? Should they be accesed by an Auction ID or something? How would one be able to check their item in Auction?

4. Do you guys want a Timer to go with the Auction NPC? Should it announce? or Alert people involved?

5. Does it 'have' to be an 'NPC = Non player character'? I'm almost 110% sure we would be better of using a script. With @commands and an SQL entry for the script.

If that isn't done the likelihood of this 'NPC' ever succeeding is about 1 in 1,000,000 there are way too many variables if an NPC is used. Unless in combination with a script, and even still it would be more efficient with commands to raise the price of bets and register for specific items. As for items which can be registered a basic command such as "@check 1179" would list all available auctions for items with item ID "1179".

I could complete this 'function' with little or no problem. But you've created factors which make it almost impossible. Otherwise, I could write a DF-diagram and let another scripter make the script. Either way, the above 5-questions need to be answered.

Hello Sammy-kun! Thank you for your interest! I was losing hope. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

Let's see..

1. I would say at most 1 item at the time to prevent abuse (too huge table of items).

2. Sure, using credits would be good enough. Otherwise, the minimum would be about 1 or 10 millions maybe? or just 1 credit if using the credit system.

3. I think one way would be some searching interface. You can just search for one type of item you would like to buy. The search would return a total of mm 15 or 20 items max? Ordered by the remaining time before expiration..

4. Timers could be tricky to manipulate. One way of dealing with notices would be to announce a message to those who bid for an item like 1 minute before it's about to end. And maybe once again 30 seconds before it's almost done. But no need to announce before that I believe.

5. You can do it anyway you want. ^^
NPC are what people would most likely know how to program. But coding @ commands and such is pretty much reserved to the C programmers and those who have at least a basic understanding of the C language. This is why, I never really thought of raising the bar that high up from the beginning because such people are pretty rare. xD

If you use commands, I recommend to add like a 15 seconds delay to those that require SQL interaction. Again, this would be to prevent abuse and unnecessary stress on MySQL (which might be vital in peak hours with 4000 players online http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/blink.gif).

Please, feel free to ask anything here that could help you out. Ask me anything whenever you have doubts. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif
Oh and doing a diagram would indeed be a pretty good idea as a first step to making that script. http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/happy.gif
It could also help out the others who would like some idea as to where to begin.

Good luck to you!

#12 OFFLINE   DemonicGhost

DemonicGhost

Mastering

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

bump.

So a 1-item auctioning script since more then one would be easily abusable.. and I'm thinking zeny, unless you can tell me the item ID for the thingy-ma-gigs.

Edit: well, I guess I got enough time on my hands, so I'm gonna do it, then test it, and work out the bugs, then test it with diffrent accounts to see if I can exploit it, and if I can, edit, if I can't, have someone else try, if they can't, e-mail it =3

And since I gotta apply before the script is tested..

In-game Name(s): DemonicPrince
Scripting Experience: I've been a scripter for only about two years now, I script mainly txt files, but have been working with SQLs for a bit now, learning what I can. I've been a GM on lots of servers (most failed because of money/hosting/lack of players/admin's intrest) including EscaRO, KakeRO, LazerRO, GoldRO, TheWorldRO(A Custom .Hack//RO Mod.) and many that never even made it public or on the top 200 lists.
Other Info: I'm a learning web designer (taking classes) and a scripter for eAthena.

Thank you for your time,

DemonicGhost/DemonicPrince

Edited by DemonicGhost, 12 January 2007 - 01:30 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   kaushik

kaushik

DoN o GoD

• Advanced Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:08 PM

In-game Name(s): IndianSith
Scripting Experience: I've been a scripter for only about three years, I script mainly txt server, but started to work on the SQL scripts from past 3 months, learning it.I have been GM in 2-3 servers which are now down because of hosting problems.I used to be the main NPC scripter and Custom items,mobs and NPC developer.I know a lot abt scripting with the files in DB folder.I can make an NPC like a normal player http://dark-ro.net/f...tyle_emoticons/default/tongue.gif (special skill with scripting)i mean i can make them be walking and talking and emotions and summon mosters kill them and more.almost like what a char will do.expect for dealing.
Other Info: I had made my own server (SQL) but had no cash to host it so lost hope on hosting the server.And i know C programming,learning it..

Edited by kaushik, 18 February 2007 - 04:20 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   kaushik

kaushik

DoN o GoD

• Advanced Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:18 AM

Maurice did u receive my script plz say ???

#15 OFFLINE   Maurice

Maurice

Founder

• Founder
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

Before the challenging spirit of this competition and the lack of candidates, I've decided to move the deadlines to two months further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users